Monday, July 19, 2010

God Bless the USA!

You've probably heard it from me before. I love this country with all my heart and soul. There is one day all year that touches me more deeply than any other day.....July 4th. This year it was especially good because I had three full days of the 4th of July. :)

My favorite part is watching the jets fly low, in formation over the parade to kick it off. I cry, sometimes bawl, every year (oh, I cry seeing the color guard too and the fireworks - what a baby!). I'm sure it stems from my childhood living in Saudi Arabia, particularly during the Desert Storm War. As a kid, I would run out into our cul-de-sac when the jets would be flying especially low and I would wave my arms back and forth waiting for one of the pilots to spot me and wave his wings back in response. It is a favorite memory. Those jets became a powerful symbol to me of the power, the bravery and the justice of our great country. I felt protected in a very vulnerable place by not only the selfless servicemen, but also a loving and kind Heavenly Father who has kept his promise to bless this land as long as its citizens live righteously. I pray we are worthy of those blessing well into the future!

It was an awesome weekend full of family and good times. My favorite part - watching Jonah gaze up at the firework display in complete and total wonder and say in the most awe-inspired voice I've ever heard from him -

"This is the most amazing thing in the whole world."

So true.



1 comment:

Ashley said...

Wow! What a cake! It looks fantastic.