Only the picture doesn't quite capture the entire mural on the playroom walls....it even included a precious quilt I have hanging on the wall from Africa as well as several toys. After each of these events, before I had time to get upset, he was already bawling and promising "I will obey the rules next time, mom". What do you do to a kid that already knows he did something wrong and punishes himself, filling in your lines? I confirmed the wrong-doing and then sat down and HUGGED him for a long time. (Mom, does this bring back memories from about 20 years ago? I don't think you ever had to send me to my room....I made sure I was punished before you had to.) :)
And you ask, where was Jonah's mother in all of this? She was working hard at the recent daily routine....feeding or trying to get a fussy baby to sleep for even 10 minutes straight before waking up again.
Looks like we will need to have some regular Mommy/Jonah date nights! Last Saturday, I took Jonah out on a date to rock climb at The Quarry in his Spiderman costume (yep, with the mask on and everything). We went to dinner together, got some ice cream and even bought new Spiderman PJs. We had a BLAST (wish I had pics of Spidey rock climbing!) and I had one very happy kid on my hands. As a mom, I don't think there is anything more rewarding than a happy child.....and anything more heart-wrenching than to see them aching for your time and attention.
So, here's to you, Jonah-bud - its you and me tonight kiddo!

2 comments:
wow... yeah we get that a lot. "I'm sorry dad, I'll listen next time" so i understand the conundrum. but this is one pic i looked at and said, hope that doesn't happen to us!
nice post!
Things will get better, Kaisa. The adjustment for the entire family when a new one arrives in your home is quite tremendous! All kids express their feelings in different ways. Kira became violent with us. It seems like Jonah vents by making messes. Just keep plugging along. And use all the help you can get. We need to have Jonah come and play again. Maybe we should make it a weekly playdate or something. Talk to you soon!
Post a Comment