Working, playing, learning, praying, fishing, climbing, hiking, running, spinning, hunting, singing, dancing, laughing, drawing, thinking, reading, loving.
Wednesday, July 16, 2008
Happy Birthday America!!!
For those of you that know me well, you know that I LOVE the 4th of July. It is my all-time favorite holiday and I get emotional and bawl at least once during the day. I have been like this since I can remember. When visiting the States from Saudi as a kid, I would cry when I saw the American flag, heard the National Anthem or said the Pledge. After the Desert Storm war, when we returned to the U.S. for good, I remember my mom kneeling down and kissing the beautiful American soil. I remember how good it felt not to attend church in secret, celebrate Christmas privately or worry about waking up multiple times in the night due to Iraqi air raids on our compound. During the time I spent in Africa, my love for this country grew even deeper as I listened to many Kenyans beg for me to take them back with me to the land where our 'streets are paved with gold'. I used to try to convince them that this is not the case, our streets are not paved with gold; but I knew it wasn't true. These streets are paved with gold and I feel so incredibly blessed to live in a free land with endless opportunity; a land founded on so much faith and preserved by the courage and conviction of so many. God bless this great country!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
I agree with you about the 4th. I love that holiday. It was especially exciting for us this year, Peni was sworn in as a citizen on the 2nd. Check out our blog for pics!
God Bless America! Thanks for this post. I've never lived, or visited, for that matter out of the country so I think I'm one of those that take this holiday for granted! Thanks for giving me cold chills while reading your post and opening my eyes once again on how wonderful we have it hear.
I agree with all of your sentiments, and you are troopers for going to that parade! I guess we'll have to join you in a few years. :o)
You are a true patriot, Kais. I LOVE IT!
Post a Comment