Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Succumbing to the page

So, I've never been a great reader. I've always wished I was and also kick myself for never developing the little bit of writing talent I once had (becoming a better reader would have probably helped!). However, when I do find a book or a book series written well enough and with enough fictional appeal (I admit to enjoying the world of fantasy), it has complete control over my mind and emotions. Yes, most of these books are targeted for younger readers (please refer back to the first sentence in this post), but I become so happy and ridiculously captivated when I do find them. For example, I just started the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyers. I was so entranced during Twilight that I read the 500 pages in a matter of 15 hours last Saturday - leaving my poor helpless husband to fend for himself, occupy our toddler, go grocery shopping and shovel the walks (I did pull away to finish the last coat of paint on our kitchen walls!). When Stefani, Brian and Kasia came over to visit later that evening, I tried my best to put it down and be social, only giving in after a few minutes and succumbing to the world of romantic vampires. I kept reading, oblivious to the world and people around me, until I finished at 3am the next morning. Sigh. It was wonderful. Getting into the 2nd book, New Moon, yesterday, I found myself a sobbing, emotional mess. I had to use some prego breathing techniques to calm myself down and appear normal just in time for my dear husband to walk in the door. As for this dear husband of mine, he reads like a maniac, consuming books at the speed of light. I am working to get Jonah in the same habit (I LOVE children's books - does that say anything about my reading level?). We end up reading with Jonah at least 1 hour every day. He has his favorite books memorized word for word. Jonah also takes his love for books into the bath with him. :) Its a good thing we have had so many big snow storms recently because, at this house, we are all addicts!

2 comments:

Camille Kenyon said...

Kaisa . . . so I am totally invloved with the Twighlight Series as well!! I love it!! I have never been so addicted to reading, it is so fun!! I just finished the first book and with some birthday money in a month I plan on getting the next two!! (Yea) Well we need to see eachother some time . . . lets plan a day? huh?

Tracie said...

OK, SO cute. And yes, I finished that series ages ago. What a great author. I'll be some serious dough that Jonah is going to be a BIG reader.